Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Not my best day

Trying to do the right thing, even when it feels a bit wrong, can be costly. $800. That's costly.

Last night was my final responsibility to the knitting guild on whose board I have served forever. I needed to be there to present the awards for the annual guild show. And I did try.

Dear close friend's mom went to hospital late afternoon; very serious and I wanted to be more help to her. DSIL were to her home to get the dog to bring here. Couldn't reach anyone from guild to help, so had to go to take the entries.

Huge rain--no, HUGE rain started as dog arrived. By the time I got to my car, the lower end of my street was flooded.

Headed out the top end of the street. Traffic lights out, radio warning of tornadoes. Why did I not turn around and go home? Stupidity, sense of duty, general insanity? I'm putting my money on the insanity thing.

Traveling down Runnymeade, at the light at Colony, there was serious flooding. I got through it and was exhaling with relief when---going uphill--- the road just disappeared and I was floating. Scary. Pulled out of it and drove on. Heading down Sharon Amity, the yellow Check Engine light came on, then all the lights came on and the engine quit.

Why is it that when you lose your power steering you are left with no steering? Can't you just be left with non-power steering like cars used to have? I got off the road and into the driveway of one of the BIG houses. Didn't think I'd be welcome there. Called Steve who said Hmmm.

Sat for a while and tried to crank the car. Eventually it did catch and I went home at a slow speed, constantly vigilant for a place to pull off if it quit again. The yellow Check Engine message flashed the entire way.

Steve took it to the dealer this morning and I'll be without it for a few days. Drowned some major electronic computer thing. It is an $800 computer thing.

Time to dust off the bike.

3 comments:

Virtuous said...

Ooh goodness..so sorry to hear about your car troubles and your mom.

I pray everything turns out alright!

debra said...

your heart was in the right place. I'm sorry about the car but so glad that you didn't get hurt.
Debra

Heather said...

Wow! I'm just glad you made it home OK! That sure was some horrible weather.