Friday, September 29, 2006

Knitting at the Beach

Finished the red sock which is the mother of all socks. Great yarn, great fit, fun techniques. I married Louet gem merino with Candance Eisner Strick's Austrian Traveling Stitches and Lucy Neatby's garter st heel and toe. I love this sock. I love the heel and the toe and the design. I love the wool.
This is the perfect sock.
For the Austrian Stitches, you really need to take Candance's class. There isn't a book. And I've not seen an instruction that was really the sharply defined, traditional technique. Sorry.

The toe and heel are described in an article on the Interweave Knits website. Very clear instructions. The heel and toe are thick which I find a plus for winter in sandals and clogs.


The Swallowtail shawl from the fall IK is also finished and hanging at Charlotte Yarn to advertise the class which starts October 5th. This one is made from the Misti Alpaca on a size 4 needle. It, as intended, is small, more a suit shawl. Others have knit this pattern and been very happy with it in Silky Wool (#8) or Brown Sheep Handpaint (#9). Those two came out more normal shawl size. I think there is a new deep purple one in my future. PlumFun yarns got a new shipment of Silky Wool with a deep deep purple that I covet.

Wild Dunes is beautiful and the weather is great. Lots of laughter. We brought out own food to the beach cottage. I would share more, but we have agreed that what happens at the beach stays at the beach. The second beer run was less that one day after arrival.

1 comment:

turtlegirl76 said...

Beautiful socks! I found the garter stitch heel to be really easy, and to my delight, hole-free. Didn't like the fit of it on me though. I think if the garter went higher up on my ankle I'da been much happier.