Monday, January 22, 2007

Steve's Pool Socks


Not swimming pool or billiards, but color pools. That thing knitters usually avoid. So I knit a ribbed swatch, noticed the pooling and started to plan another stitch pattern. Steve, however, thought the spiral was neat and they are his socks, after all.

It's Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Mineshaft colorway. My question is why did the legs pool in a spiral and the heel and feet have closer color repeats. The pooling effect fell apart at the heel start--lucky me. I assume the yarn is dyed in a long skein with the combination of repeats, but I'm not too happy about that. It simply means that if you are avoiding the pooling and trying to control the color in your design, you get an unhappy surprise about halfway through the skein. Could be a big bummer.

I've used their Gold Hill colorway and it has short repeats all the way through. I have some of the Black Purl to try, but I will study the dyeing before I wind it.

Bought the yarn from Anne Schout at her PlumFun Yarns site.

No comments: